One of the first things someone notices when they come into your home is your kitchen countertops. Kitchen countertops not only need to be attractive, but functional as well, and the material you choose plays a big part in both. The following are some of the top trends in kitchen countertops made from natural stone:
- Granite. Granite comes in a wide range of colors and patterns with the cost depending in large part on the thickness. It is heat- and scratch-resistant and needs very little maintenance. Although this option is often expensive and needs to be sealed occasionally, it offers a timeless and high-end look that can increase the resale value of your home.
- Quartz. Quartz is a manufactured material partially made up of crushed marble, granite and other natural stone. Because it is manufactured, it is often less expensive than granite, and the color and pattern options are almost endless. Quartz is resistant to stains and heat and does not require sealing.
- Soapstone. Soapstone is a non-porous stone that is available in a range of gray tones and comes direct from the quarry. Although it does not need to be sealed like other natural stones, it does require consistent application of mineral oil in order to maintain its sheen and reduce the appearance of scratches.
- Travertine. Travertine is a very durable and beautiful material that is often used for kitchen countertops, but it does require some maintenance. The surface is often pitted, and if it is not filled and sealed regularly, food and bacteria can get into the grooves.
- Marble. Marble comes in a variety of colors and textures and is an excellent choice for those who love to bake. While it offers a high-end appearance, it does require a fair amount of maintenance. It needs to be sealed regularly and is prone to stains and scratches.
If you are interested in more information about kitchen countertops, please give us a call at The Gallery of Stone today!